Working on computers and laptops for long hours can be so tiring. Today’s lifestyle makes it impossible for us to escape mobile, computer or laptop screens. Continuous staring at digital screens can cause eye strain and is not good for our health in the long run. Whether you are staying up late making your office presentation or pulling an all-nighter studying or watching Netflix, you just can’t get away from screens.
This is the reason why users enable dark mode in Windows 10, Microsoft Office and Edge because black or gray colors make the screen time easier on the eyes especially in the low-light environments.
Set Dark Mode in Windows 10
You can easily customize color themes and turn on dark mode across all apps and menus in Windows 10. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you set dark mode in Windows 10:
- Click the Start button (Windows icon) located on the left corner at the bottom of your computer screen.
- Select the ‘Settings’ option (gear icon) that appears above the power icon on the left side of the Start menu.
Press Windows key + I.
- Choose the ‘Personalization’ option.
- Click the ‘Colors’ tab on the sidebar.
- Scroll down to the option – ‘Choose your default app mode.’
- Select ‘Dark.’
Enable Dark Mode in Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office consists of the most significant apps in our lives – Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel Sheet. A slight change in the screen appearance of your Office programs can bring a little relief from the monotonous white background.
Follow the steps given below to enable dark mode in Microsoft Office:
- Open any Microsoft Office app on your PC.
- For example, let’s say you choose to open Microsoft Word.
- Click the ‘Account’ option on the menu that appears on the left pane.
If you are already working on a word document, select the ‘File’ tab on the ribbon at the top, and then choose ‘Account’ to display the next page.
- Click the ‘Office theme’ option.
- By default, the theme is set as ‘Colorful.’ Change it to ‘Dark Gray’ or ‘Black.’
Black color aligns with the highest contrast visuals in Office theme. These color themes and background settings affect all the Microsoft Office applications on your PC.
Activate Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge always ensures a safe browsing experience to the users. You can personalize the browser and make it look better by selecting the dark mode.
Here’s how to switch to dark mode in Microsoft Edge:
- Open the Edge browser.
- Click the three-dot ellipsis icon on the top-right corner.
- Choose the ‘Settings’ command.
- Navigate to ‘Choose a theme’ option in the ‘Customize’ section.
- Select the ‘Dark’ theme.
In addition to changing the color theme of Edge’s interface, you can also make all the webpages in Edge appear in the dark mode. To do so, simply install an extension available in the Microsoft Store called ‘Turn off the Lights.’